Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sugarless Cookies

Photo & Recipe from LuxHippie


So I'm almost a month into my sugarless lifestyle change and for the most part I have been able to control my cravings and they've happened less and less as the month has gone by. (I do still have one cheat day a week though, I'm positive I will never give this up.)

Anyway, last night Daniel and I were sitting on the couch and I though I might go crazy if I didn't get sugar in my body ASAP! So I began to think of ways to 'sneak' it in. Daniel finally remembered me raving about finding a recipe on Pinterest last week that didn't us any sugar in the cookie recipe.

I jumped on the computer and as fast as I could (during The Biggest Loser commercials) I found the recipe and made them. They literally took one commercial break to make. These cookies are just that easy.

Now I do have to say that if you are wanting a sticky sweet cookie, these aren't for you. But if you need just a little sweet to get your through and you don't want to feel bad for eating say, 5 of them in a row, then give this recipe a try.
 
Of course I changed a few things since I hate leaving recipes alone.
1. I added two teaspoons of vanilla instead of one.
2. I made sure to use all natural peanut butter without any added sugar.
3. I used honey instead of syrup
4. I used all purpose flour. I already gave up sugar. I'm not giving up tasty carbs.
5. NO CHOCOLATE CHIPS! Not because I didn't want them but, they'd undo the sugarless thing. 
6. I added pecans (about 1/2 cup) next time I think I will add some unsweetened coconut too! 
7. Super important!!! Only cook them for 10 to 12 minutes. :)
 
Original recipe below....

Ingredients:
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tablespoon vanilla
1/2-1 cup natural chunky peanut butter (depending on how much peanut buttery goodness you want)
4 tablespoons maple syrup
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Directions: 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
In a large bowl, mix bananas, vanilla, peanut butter and maple syrup into a creamy consistency (best to do with a hand mixer).
In another bowl, combine oats, flour, baking powder and salt
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until they are well combined, the batter should be slightly sticky. Fold in the chocolate chips. The batter will be somewhat runny, this is ok.
Place heaping tablespoon-sized balls of the batter onto a ‘greased’ baking sheet (can also place on wax paper) and cook for 15 minutes.
Makes around 2 dozen cookies
 

3 comments:

Heather said...

I just put these on my list a couple of days ago to make in the next 2 weeks. Glad to know you made them and like them! :)

Victoria O'Neal said...

I did like them!! Like I said, not super sweet but a good little snack when you NEED a baked good :)

Unknown said...

I didn't like them but my husband did.