Wednesday, November 11, 2009

What Can YOU Do Wednesday?

So much has been going on around here in my crazy little world.

I do want to post about it but being at school and not on my own laptop I can't post about it with photos so I feel that I must wait so that you can get the full effect of this busy little life of mine.

But since it is Wednesday I will go ahead and open my mouth about what's been keeping me busy in the green world lately.

Well, I'm not gonna lie... it's mostly been green cooking.

I've cooked and baked from scratch more in the past couple of weeks than I have in my entire life.

And the results have been outrageous.

I don't believe I can ever purchase another box of store bought granola bars or muffins again.

I definitely will be reconsidering my bread purchase.

I will NEVER ever again buy biscuits, pizza crusts, or cinnamon rolls from commercial giants like Pillsbury.

I've been really wanting to get in there and dissect everything that goes into my food. Not that I haven't been doing this for a while now. But I needed to know what was in ALL of it. Even the tiny stuff.

Example: Ingredients: granola (whole grain rolled oats, rolled whole wheat, brown sugar, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil [soybean and/or cottonseed oil] dried coconut, whole wheat flour, honey), semisweet chocolate chips (sugar, chocolate liquor, cocoa butter, soy lecithin [an emulsifier], vanilla flavor), corn syrup, crisp rice (rice, sugar, salt, barley malt), high fructose corn syrup, sugar, corn syrup solids, glycerin, partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (soybean and/or cottonseed oil), sorbitol, salt, molasses, water, natural and artificial flavors, BHT (a preservative), citric acid. Contains wheat and soy ingredients. May contain traces of peanuts.

The above is what is in Quaker granola bars... I've highlighted what I think is ridiculous or I can't figure out what it is, or it's purpose.

There is absolutely no need for all that crap!

So, no thank you I'll take my homemade granola bars over that cluster of poo.

I actually think it took less time to make them than it did to drive to the store, pick them up, and drive home.

This is just one example.

There are a million I could talk about.

I know that I bring up the importance or knowing what's in your food, knowing where it's from and so on quite often but it's for very food reasons.

If you don't believe me just check out a few of these sites. Sweetpoison, OrganicConsumers, PreventCancer, NewYorkTimes.

I found these articles very interesting.

1 comment:

KatieOH said...

I love love love baking from scratch!