Monday, March 23, 2009

How Can Love Survive?




I recently came across a singer. Her name is India Arie.

For all of you who don't know, I'm a music junkie. In my spare time I love finding new music.

Anyway, back to India Arie.

She's phenomenal.

There are a few lines in her song "The Heart of the Matter" that has kept me thinking for days now.

Let me sing you a few lines from the song....

These time are so uncertain, there's a yearning undefined

And people filled with rage

We all need a little tenderness, how can love survive

In such a graceless age?

And there it was.

The truth.

And what do you do about it?

We have become so graceless, faithless and hopeless as a whole.

And without all of these things how can you make the greatest thing of all work?

How can you help love to survive?

What do you do to make sure you don't make so many of the same mistakes that are so common in dating, love and marriage these days? Or in any relationship for that matter.

How do you find someone that is equally concerned?

The truth is, I'm not completely sure.

I mean I have a few ideas but nothing concrete.

I believe that in order to have grace, faith and hope in something as big as love you must first have it in yourself.

That seems to make sense to me. That these traits are present in you before you can have them present in your relationships.

So, I'll be thinking about grace and if it's shown by me through good will and my actions.

I'll be thinking about faith in every sense of the word. Having faith in oneself and in others. And being faithful to family and friends.

I'll be thinking about hope and how even though it seems like the least important of the three it's where it all starts.

You have hope for wonderful things. You have faith that they just might happen. And you're given them through grace.

So these are things I will be working hard to exude in myself because I.... want love to survive inspite of this graceless age.

No comments: