Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Favorite Find



I know. I know. This is probably not the picture you thought you were going to see when you saw the title, "Favorite Find."

Then again if you REALLY know me, it doesn't surprise you at all.

We all know that I'm always looking for ways to 'green up' my life.

Last week I was on my weekly grocery store excursion and I knew that I was going to have to break down and buy trash bags this week.

You need to know that I hate buying trash bags. I see no reason why I should have to spend over $7 a box on something that my trash goes in. What a waste, literally.

But being the coupon cutter that I am I had a $1 off coupon so I decided I couldn't complain as much this time.

I mean really what are my other options?

So mentally, I told myself that I needed to go ahead and make the journey down aisle 9 and pick up my grocery item as fast as possible and be on my way.

My buggy never travels down aisle 9 EXCEPT when this item is needed. After all, it's the 'evil' aisle when you're working your hardest to become more green.

Examples of bad green choices down aisle 9: paper towels, paper cups, styrofoam, plastic bags, etc.

Anyway, I turned the corner and as I was picking up my usual trash bags I saw a green box out of the corner of my eye. (As you may already know the color green is pretty popular for "green" products)

The picture above is what I saw.

I'm not gonna lie the first thing that caught my eye was that this box contained 5 more bags than my current trash bag company and it was the same price.

But then, I saw 'Renew' and '65% Recycled Plastic'.

I was sold.

Yes, it's a very small way to take advantage of recycled products... but every little bit counts. :)

Also, as requested by Ms. Katie I will be giving "Green Tips" each week.

I've already sent these to Katie, but this weeks tip are:

1) Try to buy produce from a local grocer. It costs much more to ship food miles/states in order to be at your local Wal-Mart, Kroger and so on. So check out your town and see if there is a local market somewhere close. Not only are you helping the environment, your produce is much more fresh and you are more likely to have a wider range of organic produce to choose from.

2) Cut down on your use of dry cleaners. There is a chemical called perc in dry cleaning that can cause lung and kidney problems. Perc also lingers in the air and has been found in our food due to this. There are green dry cleaners you just have to look them up in your area online.

No comments: