Saturday, September 29, 2007

I Teach Emler!



The job hunt it over! Thank goodness. I was tired of interviews. I was tired of crappy part-time jobs that offer to pay absolutely nothing for tons of work. I was tired of feeling like an absolute bum since I haven't had a job in three months, believe me that is not me.

I had the same job for almost three years working at Cheddar's in Bryan/College Station. I waited tables. The money was great! The job was terrible. I refused to do it again when I moved to Denton.

I mean, I'm going to be a teacher. What good will waiting tables do? I am not learning anything at all about my profession. That's why I knew that I could NOT just find some little job to pass the time. It had to be the right one.

I have been waiting for Emler Swim School to call me since the job fair in mid-August. I got lots of applications that day, but when I walked up to their booth they were nothing but inviting and enthusiastic about what they do. They were wonderful. The only problem was that they wouldn't be actually hiring until mid-October. Great! I needed a job ASAP! Luckily, I have understanding parents who agreed that I shouldn't take a job that I wasn't going to be happy at. I finally got a call from the Emler Swim School this week and had an interview scheduled in Plano on Thursday.

I'm sure some of you are wondering just what is the Emler Swim School? Well, it's just like it sounds. A swim school. For kids. This was absolutely perfect for me.
  1. It's teaching kids!
  2. It's a Christian company! I was thrilled to hear that.
  3. I don't have to get all dressed up to go to work.
  4. The pay is outrageously good.
  5. They work around your schedule. You can work four hours a week to six days a week.
  6. Did I mention, it's working with kids? Tiny ones! I'm so excited!

The interaction that I will get to have with these children everyday is going to be such a good experience for me. I really believe that this job will help me prepare for becoming a teacher. It will be great to see how I react in teaching situations. Swimming lessons or math problems I believe it's all about your approach with children and how comfortable you make them feel.

I don't start training until the 19th of October, so I still have a few weeks of nothingness to do. I am sure I will find something to fill the time. Like homework, friends, and maybe if I'm lucky Sprinkles Cupcakes!

No comments: